.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I look down at the people and I think about how everybody's got problems. Maybe not a secret government agency on their ass, but, you know... problems. And if I sit up here long enough, I start to feel like I'm just one of those people... a regular girl. ." +++ DA

Saturday, January 03, 2004

things you learn from crazy female driver-turned-instructor

Since alba could not survive being locked up in her place for 24 hours, we went out last night to give her a breather from her thesis. The breather consisted of 2 huge packs of Barbeque-flavored Oishi Ridges, 2 cans of Q-Shandy and some pears and an apple for me.

After going to the mall, eating dinner and coming back to Ortigas Center, Alba decided that it was yet another night for my driving prowess. We exchanged seats along Josemaria Drive. Well, all I can say is I was more afraid of people crossing than anything else. I would go into 3rd gear again, which is really a great phenomenon since it’s me who’s driving. My usual range is second gear at most. Hehehe!

Anyway, just a few things I should consider:

1. Don’t be afraid to press on the gas pedal. The car won’t move if you’re not pressing on it and putting in power into the gear. (Now, why didn’t I think of this before?!)
2. Learn how to go to neutral from 3rd gear and then change into 2nd gear when going over a hump. The car bounces more if you would change into 2nd gear before the hump.
3. Remember your signals.
4. It should take only 3 seconds to look at all three mirrors in checking out other cars and not three minutes.
5. Never stop just because a pedestrian is crossing 5 meters away from you. Slowing down if (and only if!) you’re using the high gears will do.
6. Beeping when crossing the entrance of a basement parking lot is not necessary for your safety. You’ll know when someone wants to park since you’re bound to see anyone turning into the lot.
7. It’s not necessary to make a full stop when turning at curves. Just slow down and you’ll do fine.
8. When causing traffic as you make your three-point turn, remember that the car won’t move if you don’t let go of the clutch.

I might need to digest this some more. Oh and I don't think I frightened the wits out of her this time... or did I, albz?! *snicker*

Honestly speaking, I think I did pretty well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home