.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I look down at the people and I think about how everybody's got problems. Maybe not a secret government agency on their ass, but, you know... problems. And if I sit up here long enough, I start to feel like I'm just one of those people... a regular girl. ." +++ DA

Sunday, August 28, 2005


Barong Tagalog

Okay, this is not about the guy in the picture, but about the shirt.

For those who don't know what a barong tagalog is, it's the traditional clothing worn by Filipino men which I think started in the Spanish colonial era when Filipinos are prohibited from wearing the "amercana" or suit to maintain the status quo. These days, barongs are worn as a formal wear as an alternative to the suit or more commonly worn during weddings. Of course, there's what we call the polo barong, which most guys wear for work.

His sister attended a Filipino wedding in Ohio and she raved about the barong. So, I had to get a barong and ship it off asap since he's attending a Filipino wedding on September 2. This is the first time I was going to get one and so I asked for the necessary measurements. And since I could only use a long sleeved shirt as a reference (the one worn under a suit)... it could prove to be a disaster. You can't imagine how many people I asked on what type of measurements are needed.

Day 1: I asked for the collar, chest and arm measurements only to find out that we have a different references for each part that needs to be measured. I think I ended up asking for the masurements at least three times. I found out that the arm measurement in the US is from the middle of the neck until the wrist whereas we measure the shoulders and then we measure the arm.
Day 2: I had to go down to the barong center and ask the girl what kind of measurements are needed and how the measurements are done. Good thing my work place is within a mall. At this time, I was thinking barongs cost like PhP 10T. I also ended up hunting for Onesimus and Tesoro's since those are the only two places I know which sells barongs. Actually, albs just recommended Onesimus. How she knew there's barong there, I don't know. I thought it sold clothes like the ones one could find in Van Huesen.
Day 3: I asked some friends to help me pick out a barong since I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CHOOSE A BARONG. I also thought that any round-necked shirt would do, but it turns out that the undershirt should be a camisa de chino. I know most people may find this weird, but there are just too many different styles and I don't know which ones can be considered as one that looks good. It provved to be beneficial as well since one of them tried on the barong for me to see how it fits.
I realized then how overpriced it is to order it online. $89.99 for barongs alone!
Day 4: Sending the barong was a feat! I didn't know how to fold it. I didn't know how to pack it. I didn't know how not to wrinkle it. I was getting harried over the whole packaging and all the other stuff I need to send. So I sent the barong, the shirt and some other stuff that I don't want him to find out in case he gets to read this.

Oh and I got the cream-colored one :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home