.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I look down at the people and I think about how everybody's got problems. Maybe not a secret government agency on their ass, but, you know... problems. And if I sit up here long enough, I start to feel like I'm just one of those people... a regular girl. ." +++ DA

Saturday, January 03, 2004

Of Resolutions and New Years

Yesterday, I was asked if I made a New Year’s resolution.

Well, I didn’t.

Come to think of it, ever since a New Year’s resolution has not been required by my school, I have never bothered making one… or many as some people do.

When I was in elementary, the teachers in my private nun-filled school, would always remind us to make our New Year’s resolutions and try to keep them. No. They never asked us individually what our resolutions were, but it was more of every 1st day of school after the Christmas holiday, our teachers would remind us that we made some resolution and we should keep them. Since this was a tradition, I got into a habit of making a New Year’s resolution for the same of having something I could strive to keep for the whole year.

Now, don’t get me wrong. These resolutions I made were real resolutions. However, the one pushing me to make them is the desire to have a resolution in mind so that when our teachers reminded us to keep our resolution, I have something to live up to. Yadayada. I know.

What twisted mind I have?! *snicker*

But for the last couple of years, I have never made any resolutions. And it wasn’t because New Year didn’t matter. I guess it’s because every minute, second or even millisecond of everyday is a time to change and make yourself better. And if only we would see that and remember that, then I think all these fuss about New Year’s resolution will be replaced by the natural high everyone gets in moments of epiphany. Maybe then the festive mood we experience around the world during New Year will be experienced everyday and people won’t feel the need to throw stones at each other. But who am I to tell how everyone should be, right?

As for me, I would bet my checking account to fulfill plans rather than resolutions – if I had one, that is. It’s the three-year planning as well as the long time planning, which is better. Your have the first year to start your plan, the second year to make it work and the next year to help make your plan sustainable and plan for the next three years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home