.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I look down at the people and I think about how everybody's got problems. Maybe not a secret government agency on their ass, but, you know... problems. And if I sit up here long enough, I start to feel like I'm just one of those people... a regular girl. ." +++ DA

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Men on a Need To Know Basis

While wreaking havoc around the city through alba's roadtrip, I have established certain ideas on men that might be good things to put in a book:

1. I shall marry the guy I like talking to.

I know, I know. this is in some Indian tantra or something. But after talking about nothing and everything with a certain someone, I realized the importance of this statement. I cannot believe that my lack of knowledge of medical terminologies can actually be amusing to anyone. Nor the fact that I DO tend to create my own dictionary along the way maybe thinking that my being made in the image and likeness of the Supreme Being has given me powers to rename both animate and inanimate objects?! ;)

2. I shall marry a guy who listens to me while I blabber.

Let's face it, women - damsels in distress or not - babble a lot. Even the most benign object is a topic of conversation. Since I am talking about babbling here, there's really no point in any of such conversations, but for a guy to stick by you and listen or at least appear to listen... for a guy to think its funny that you do what you do and say what you say while babbling, THAT SAYS A LOT.

Now, now. This is not a one-sided affair, at least not in my book. Guys tend to be the quieter specie, though this is more of a generalization than a 99% tried-and-tested theory. I am not talking about guys hanging out with their friends. I am talking about putting a guy and a girl in the one rooom or one place. Who do you think would talk first? In all probability, it maybe the girl or at least, it's the girl who would talk more. Guys tend to keep things to themselves and women tend to fill in the void or dead-air.

Which is why in this case, I'd prefer to listen when the guy talks or says something... even if it's just some little pain in his foot due to a biking accident a few days back or the sunburn he got from watching baseball at the stadium with his ticket winning a signed jersey, but the jersey now being a property of an old man with whom he exchanged seats with. I would listen and in those few moments, I would try to extract as much as I can about anything and everything related to those two injuries.

3. Guys like being Prince Charmings, Knights in Shining Armours, etc., etc, whatever the heck you wanna call them.

Guys don't like clingy girls (unless the guy is clingy too). Personally, I am no guy, but I don't even like clingy friends so... I think that says it all. In any case, guys like a girl who can fend for herself. However, the age-old patriarchal society has not yet ended its rule in certain aspects. Guys still fall for damsels-in-distress or at least they like knowing that there are situations wherein they could be the Clark Kents or Supermen of the world... even if the world is just a little thing happening to you or around you.

4. Guys like to be babied.

No, not a contradiction. while they like to be in-charge and be supermen, the superman complex has a threat to it - kryptonite. So the Supermen of this world like having kryptonites through a sore toe due to some running they did or a bike accident because they were not looking at where they were going...

And they expect to come home and receive a hug much like anyone experiencing something traumatic needs one... someone taking the kryptonite away and keeping it out of the vicinity while they regain their strengths.

5. Lastly, there are rare men who fit the right guy description. There are those who are boyfriend material, there are those for display, there are those who are husband material, father figures... you name it and they're all there.... But they're not perfect. A guy like Landon or Clark Kent only exists in movies, books and tv shows. So if you think you've found one, you're right. He IS too good to be true!

I like a guy and he likes me too, but it's not getting anywhere coz we're both level headed and pretty mcuh not wanting to waste our friendship in addition to certain other barriers present these days. He's not perfect, but hey, he's my friend. I have never been able to have a bestfriend nor a guy friend that has been that close to me. I don't think I can call him my bestfriend. I don't think we're at that level. And besides, I've never had one and the term just doesn't fit. I don't think we are such. But he knows almost everything about me - except the fact that I like him too. All I do know is he has told my friend, we're beyond friendship. What it means...

who knows? It doesn't change anything

...Only it changes everything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home