.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

"I look down at the people and I think about how everybody's got problems. Maybe not a secret government agency on their ass, but, you know... problems. And if I sit up here long enough, I start to feel like I'm just one of those people... a regular girl. ." +++ DA

Sunday, August 03, 2003

I was watching Life or Something Like It the other day - a movie that I did not bother watching even though I like Angelina Jolie because of the reviews it got. People said that it was supposed to be a comedy and it supposedly TRIED SO HARD to be one.

As for me, I liked the film.

No, it wasn't because Angelina Jolie was in it nor was it because this Edward Burns is kinda good looking. I normally watch films at least 3 times - that is if I get to like it the first time I see it. First, I watch the movie for its story and overarching theme - or lack thereof. Second, I watch it for the cinematography and the other elements, which I do pay attention during the first run, but never really focused on. Third, I watch it for how the character is being played and how everything else mixed up together contributes to making the film worth watching.

I know. I know. It's such a tedious and expensive way of watching a film if you talk about going to the movies three times - like I did for Tomb Raider and the Cradle of Life, which by the way is a lot better than the first one.

I shall spare you of my analysis of Life or Something Like It... except for one thing that well... can come as a food for thought - if people still believes in them.

Lanie, the main charcter raised the question, "Was it worth it?" She was asking if everything that a person gives up to be where he/she is is worth all the effort.

But then, what about the people who have tried so hard to help others and have gotten nothing in return? What about those people who have done a lot of good, but never really had to give up anything simply because they never had anything in the first place? Do we ask them the same question? Do we ask them if "it was worth it?" I don't think so. In the first palce, they never ahd to give up anything. They might have given up a higher paying job for something that would help people, but then they knew twhat they were giving up and they were giving IT up for a higher cause, so to speak. the ":Was it worth it?" question only applies to those who gave up the best thing that ahs ever happened to them. For those who knew and who willingly gave up something better just to help others, they already know that it IS worth it. They do not need such a question. What they do need is a bit of courtesy. No, they are not askign for it, but mostly the lack of coutesy crushes their aspiration to help more and more people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home